Fasting is necessary to temper our desires. Simultaneously, we will be spiritually empowered. Many report better elevated spiritual clarity while on or shortly after an extended fast. Biblically accurate fasting is not a dieting process, missing a meal or two because we were too rushed to eat, or a hunger strike to get someone to do something. Biblically accurate fasting is a mental and vocal declaration of doing without food in order to achieve spiritual strength, answers and direction. It can and does often assist in the following: receiving the Holy Ghost (Acts 10:1-48); spiritual deliverances (Mark 9:29); and in obtaining skills, understanding and wisdom (Daniel 9:2-3, 21-22). Through fasting victories are won, power is received and deliverances are performed.
Kings and commoners, priests and prophets, and cities and nations fasted in the Bible. Revivals and renewals are recorded as occurring during or directly after a fast. Paul fasted three days prior to his conversion experience and Cornelius was fasting when an angel appeared unto him, prior to his conversion. Jesus expected us to fast. He said that his followers would fast when the Bridegroom would no longer be with them and Matthew 6:16 records Him as saying, “When ye fast…” Clearly Christians are to fast. Christians should fast when the Holy Spirit prompts us. Fasting by inspiration is often the easiest time to fast, because we feel heavily “impressed” to do so. Christians should also fast by commitment. Dedication and consecration to God’s cause strongly suggests that we fast simply because we are told to do so.
Matthew 6:6 (KJV)
But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
Isaiah 58 (KJV)
1. Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and shew my people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins.
2. Yet they seek me daily, and delight to know my ways, as a nation that did righteousness, and forsook not the ordinance of their God: they ask of me the ordinances of justice; they take delight in approaching to God.
3. Wherefore have we fasted, say they, and thou seest not? wherefore have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge? Behold, in the day of your fast ye find pleasure, and exact all your labours.
4. Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high.
5. Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the Lord?
6. Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
7. Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
8. Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy reward.
9. Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;
10 . And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noon day:
11 . And the Lord shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.
12. And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.
13. If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:
14. Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.
When we fast according to the fast that God has chosen
Our light shall break forth like the morning.
Our healing shall spring forth speedily
Our righteousness shall go before us.
The glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard
When we call, and the Lord will answer; when we cry, He will say, Here I am.
If we extend our souls to the hungry and satisfy the afflicted people, then our light shall dawn in the darkness, and our darkness shall be as the noonday
The Lord will guide us continually
He will satisfy our souls in drought.
He will strengthen our bodies.
We shall be like a watered garden and like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.
Those from among us shall build the old waste places.
We shall raise up the foundations of many generations.
And we shall be called the Repairer(s) of the Breach, the Restorer(s) of Streets to Dwell in.
[ Rend Your Heart ] “Even now,” declares the LORD, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning.
King James Version (KJV)
15. Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly:
16. Gather the people, sanctify the congregation, assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts: let the bridegroom go forth of his chamber, and the bride out of her closet.
17. Let the priests, the ministers of the Lord, weep between the porch and the altar, and let them say, Spare thy people, O Lord, and give not thine heritage to reproach, that the heathen should rule over them: wherefore should they say among the people, Where is their God?
18. Then will the Lord be jealous for his land, and pity his people.
19. Yea, the Lord will answer and say unto his people, Behold, I will send you corn, and wine, and oil, and ye shall be satisfied therewith: and I will no more make you a reproach among the heathen:
20. But I will remove far off from you the northern army, and will drive him into a land barren and desolate, with his face toward the east sea, and his hinder part toward the utmost sea, and his stink shall come up, and his ill savour shall come up, because he hath done great things.
21. Fear not, O land; be glad and rejoice: for the Lord will do great things.
22. Be not afraid, ye beasts of the field: for the pastures of the wilderness do spring, for the tree beareth her fruit, the fig tree and the vine do yield their strength.
23. Be glad then, ye children of Zion, and rejoice in the Lord your God: for he hath given you the former rain moderately, and he will cause to come down for you the rain, the former rain, and the latter rain in the first month.
24. And the floors shall be full of wheat, and the vats shall overflow with wine and oil.
25. And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpiller, and the palmerworm, my great army which I sent among you.
26. And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the Lord your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed.
27. And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the Lord your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed.
28. And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions
God will send us “grain, new wine and oil” and we will be satisfied
God will drive our enemies far away from us
He will cause the “rain” to come down for us
Our harvest will be full of plenty
He will restore the years that have been stolen from us
We shall eat in plenty and be satisfied
We shall never be put to shame
He will pour His Spirit out upon all flesh.
Our children shall prophesy.
Our elders shall dream dreams and the younger ones shall see visions
Matthew 6:16 King James Version (KJV)
16 Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 17 But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; 18 That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly. 19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: 20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: 21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Matthew 17:14-21 King James Version (KJV)
14 And when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying,
15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.
16 And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him.
17 Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.
18 And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.
19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting
The disciples asked the Lord why they could not heal a lunatic boy. Jesus said, “Because of your unbelief… Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting. Faith needs prayer for its development and full growth, and prayer needs fasting for the same reason. Fasting has done wonders when used in combination with prayer and faith. This is a biblical doctrine. To fast means to abstain from food – that which caused the fall of man. Fasting humbles the soul before God ( Ps 3513); chastens the soul( Ps 69:10); and crucifies the appetites and denies them so as to give entire time to prayer ( II Samuel 12:16-23; Matt 4:1-11). It manifests earnestness before God to the exclusion of all else ( I Cor 7:5); shows obedience; gives the digestive system a rest (6:16-18; 9:15; Luke 5:33-35); demonstrates the mastery of man over appetites; aids in temptation; helps to attain power over demons ;snd develops faith; crucifies undelief; and aids in prayer( Mt 4:1-11; 17:14-21)
All believers are suppose to fast. Men should fast when under chastening ( 2 Sam 12:16-23); under judgment( I King 21:27) in (Ezra 8:21); in danger ( Ester 4); when worried ( Dan 6;18); in trouble (Acts 27:9, 33) in spiritual conflict (Mt 4:1-11); and when desperate in prayer (Acts 9)
Daniel Fast Foods to Include in your diet
All fruits, these can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned. Fruits include but are not limited to apples, apricots, bananas, blackberries, blueberries, boysenberries, cantaloupe, cherries, cranberries, dates, figs, grapefruit, grapes, guava, honeydew, melon, kiwi, lemons, limes, mangoes, nectarines, oranges, papayas, peaches, pears, pineapples, plums prunes, raisins, raspberries, strawberries, tangelos, tangerines, and watermelon
All vegetables These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned. Vegetables included but are not limited to artichokes, asparagus, avocados, beets, bok choy, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chili peppers, collard greens, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, ginger, root, green beans, jicama, kale, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, olives, onions, parsley, parsnips, peppers, potatoes, radishes, rutabagas, scallions, shallots, spinach, sprouts, squashes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, tomato paste, turnips, water chestnuts, watercress, yams, and zucchini. Veggie burgers are and option if you are not allergic to soy
All whole grains These include but are not limited to almonds, cashews, coconut, flaw seeds, pecans, peanuts, pine nuts, poppy seeds, sesame seeds and walnuts. Nut butters such as peanut butter and tahini(sesame seed paste) may be included
All legumes These can be canned or dried. Legumes include but are not limited to black beans, black-eyed peas, cannellini beans, chickpeas, dried beans, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans navy beans, pinto beans, split peas, and white beans
All quality oils These include but are not limited to canola, coconut, grape seed, olive, peanut and sesame.
Soy foods These include tofu (all kinds) TVP (textured vegetable protein) and other soy products
Condiments and cooking ingredients. Abobo sauce, cilantro herbs, mustard (unsweetened), salt, seasonings, soynaise, spices, TVP, vanilla, and vegetable broth. You can use small amounts of fruit juices as ingredients in dishes (apple juice, lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice, pineapple juice).
Daniel Fast Food Restrict
Exclude all meat and animal products such as Beef, Lamb, Pork, Poultry, and Fish
Exclude all dairy products such as Milk, Cheese, Cream, Butter, and eggs
Exclude all sweeteners such as Sugar, raw Sugar, Honey, Syrups, Molasses, and Cane Juice
Exclude all Leavened Bread such as Ezekiel Bread (most of which contains yeast and honey), Pretzels, Pita Bread, and other baked goods made with leavening agents.
Exclude all refined and processed food products that contain such ingredients as artificial flavorings, food additives, chemicals, White Rice, White Flour, or artificial preservatives.
Exclude all deep-fried foods such as Potato Chips, French Fries and Corn Chips
Exclude all solid fats such as Shorting, margarine, Lard, and foods high in fat
Exclude all non-water beverages such as Coffee, Tea, Herbal teas, Carbonated Beverages, Energy Drinks, and of course No Alcohol.
Remember, READ THE LABELS to know all the ingredients included in prepared foods